Wednesday

Neck Cooler Tutorial

This summer our kids got to participate in a Pioneer Handcard Trek! As part of the preparation I was asked to help the youth and leaders make neck coolers. They are made of cotton fabric filled with polymer that expands and holds water to keep you cool! I thought I would use pictures in a handout originally so I took pictures as I went along. I didn't end up using the pics but thought this blog would be a good place to put them in case you want a cool way to stay cool!

Start by cutting a strip of fabric 6" by 36". With right sides together, sew a 1/4 inch seam along long edge. Leave both short ends open. Next you will turn the tube right side out. I did this by using my handy dandy turning invention! I bent a regular metal hanger as flat as I could.




The hook at top where you hang it on the closet rod will catch the end after you stick the whole thing through the tube.




After you grab the other end, help fold it over this end and pull back to the beginning.





I have found if I pulled on the seam, the rest would follow.




When you get to the other end, help the fabric off the hook.




Then, flatten the tube with the seam in the center. You can press it if you want.




Then sew across from top to bottom 10 inches from the end.




Next you are going to mark an end point for a center seam. Fold it over and pin where the seam lands on the other end.








Next sew from the seam you sewed at 10" from the end to the pin, right down the center seam.




You should have 2 open tubes now in the center of the larger tube. You are going to fill each side with 1/2 teaspoon--and ONLY 1/2 teaspoon--of polymer. I found mine in the gardening department. Mine is called Soil Moist. Using a small funnel helped this process:





Now, I want you to believe me when I say ONLY 1/2 TEASPOON! You will be tempted to fill it up more, but it expands that much! Really, just trust me!




Fill up each side with your 1/2 teaspoon of polymer;




Then sew up the other end at the end of the small tubes, which should be 10" from the other end. And, make sure you don't sew the polymer!




Then close up both ends by folding in the raw ends and sewing close to the end.




And, there you have it! A nifty neck cooler! Perfect for working outside, going on a pioneer trek, or just anytime you need to cool off!





To use: Soak neck cooler in bowl of water overnight, or at least 8 hours. Water will stay expanded for several days. When it 'dries up', just soak it again!





No comments:

Post a Comment